Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nature v.s. Nurture

I've always had a curious sort of mind. When I was a child I am sure it was the reason behind my getting into trouble so often. And in school it fueled my intense interest in science. One of the areas I find most curious and interesting is the question of Nature v.s. Nurture. Are we the way we are because we inherited certain traits from our parents or is it because we were raised in an environment that influenced us? I don't have the answer but I find it a very intriguing question. The reason I bring this up is because I witnessed behavior this weekend by a father and his son that made me think of this question again. I was watching a high school basketball game when a girl sitting by me pointed out the pair sitting across the gym from us. She laughed at how the two of them were splitting images of each other. They were sitting the same and when they clapped in excitement, they clapped in unison. Several of us got so caught up watching these two that when they would do something alike, we'd all break out in laughter. I have no idea what happened during that quarter of the game! So with camera in hand, I tried to get shots that would prove the similarities...and I would have to say I was successful. Is it Nature or Nurture? I don't know the cause, but I can sure see the effect.











1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Linda, that is hilarious!! They don't even know how alike they are!

    ReplyDelete