Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day Two

As Day Two comes to an end I regret that I did not get this piece finished. I did some quilting this evening as you can see from the photo. But I have a very good reason for not getting more than this done....I got a visit from my granddaughter and I had to take some time to play. She did play well though while I finished up what I was stitching. She claimed a few fat quarters as her own and proceeded to sew them. This little gal is 5 years old and has watched her mom quilting so even though she's not old enough to use all the right tools, it's remarkable how much she knows about the process.
The first thing she did was unfold the fat quarters and lie them out on my big quilting ironing table. Then she pretended to spray them with her makeshift squirt bottle (an empty water bottle) and ironed them with her special iron (a small Tupperware container). After they were adequatey pressed, she brought each piece over to my large sewing table where I was quilting and proceeded to cut it with a comb! And she used it like a rotary cutter, using the ruler and everything. Then she'd take it back to the ironing board and iron it once again before refolding the piece and declaring it "sewed".
I'm very proud of her for paying such close attention to her Grandma and Mother while we sew. She narrated every step as she acted it out and she knew why she was doing them. I would guess that she asks her mom as many questions as she asks me when I'm quilting around her.
So while I didn't get as much quilting done as I had planned, I did have a great evening with my granddaughter. And when Annika went home she made plans to come back again and quilt with me soon (probably tomorrow, right, Grandma?)
I've posted another teaser that shows some of the quilting I did get done tonight. And whether or not I finished..........any evening spent quilting is a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment