Saturday, February 13, 2010

High Tea with the Queen


One of the highlights of my trip to the UAE was going to High Tea at the Burj Al Arab. This beautiful motel shaped like a sailboat is even more spectacular in person. I took this photo at dusk and it really is outstanding.

I attended High Tea at the Burj Al Arab on the 27th floor. Above it on the 28th floor is the Helipad. It's much larger than it looks. Tiger Woods played golf up there last spring! This next photo is the Jumeira Club and private beach, taken from the 27th floor. On the other side of this floor you look over the new palm shaped development but it was very cloudy with sand the day we were there so I was unable to get any good photos of that landmark.

My sister, Lavina, surprised me the day I was scheduled to leave by telling me we had reservations for high tea. The custom of high tea at this luxury motel started when Queen Elizabeth was young and would ride in the early afternoon. She would return from her ride and would be hungry so she would go into the kitchen and make herself something small to eat. She did this so she would not be caught eating between meals. She would get hungry again soon as the small amount she ate would act as an appetizer. So she would eat something tiny again. When she was finally discovered it brought her embarrassment and she decided to start having high tea every afternoon when she would return from riding. Chefs would prepare her little sandwiches and sweets and she could eat them leisurely as she wished. This custom is now one of the most lavish treats in the UAE. We started our tea with a glass of fine champagne and berries in cream. Then we were treated to finger sandwiches. The main course was beef wellington and although I live in beef country, I can honestly say I have never tasted a finer piece of beef. (It was NOT local beef as I did try that, and it was not a treat.) After the main course we were served a fresh sorbet to cleanse our palate and then warm scones with fruit jams and clotted cream. Following this course was an exquisite selection of french pastries and finally hand-crafted Petit Fours. Putting the finishing touch on the experience we selected a specialty coffee or tea. During the tea, food was constantly replenished. If we ate a certain type of finger sandwich it would be replaced by a fresh one quickly. Fancy pastries appeared instantly! I was especially impressed by the Petit Fours. Each one was a miniature work of art. They were as much fun to look at as they were to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment